we’ve been doing a lot of this lately, sometimes i just wish we could stay put and never fly again, ever! it ain’t easy, so i plan activities to make sure julia is kept busy when flying. i can never bring too many activities, she always gets bored and tired, and i don’t blame her. also, i’m all about flying light, but i’ll bring whatever toys and activities i can, to help me ease the pain.
i always bring the ipad with short episodes (peppa pig and doc mcstuffins) and apps, but these won’t entertain her for long. i start out with other activities, and when i’m exhausted i’ll reach for the ipad for a little break.
these are a few activities and toys that we have brought with us on recent flights –
- A BOX WITH PAPER CLIPS – we bought this cheap one, great for sorting colours or just making a mess without being messy.
- A LOCK – something as simple as this keeps her entertained for a good 10 minutes, she’s obsessed with keys.
- ACTIVITY BOOK AND CRAYONS – we love this one by flying tiger, with lots of cute drawings to get creative, and it’s small so great size for packing. this crayons are easy to grasp and perfect size for traveling too.
- SQUINKIES – julia loves tiny toys, these are not recommended for under 3, but if your little one can keep them off their mouth, they are great entertainment.
- IMAGINE INK ACTIVITY BOOK – these mess free pens have been life savers and i always carry one in my handbag.
- PIPE CLEANERS and CHEERIOS – never underestimate the power of cheerios, thread them like beads and they double as treats (this and more activities using cheerios here).
- WATCHING PICTURES AND VIDEOS ON MY PHONE – i make a few videos of things we did recently, like watching the flamingos at the zoo, or her train ride, this is always a hit.
- A BOX OF BANDAID – our personal favorite, great fashion accessory (as seen above) and fun to pretend play.
- STICKERS – always, we love these ones, to practice animal names and they’re easy to remove… they’re pretty much all over the place when we land.
- WOODEN PUZZLE – i bought this one by mistake (wanted the magnet one) by it turns out it’s one of julia’s favorite. i just make sure she hasn’t played with it for a while before flying.
i also grabbed this backpack for $8 from zara and gave it to her on our last long flight, it was huge entertainment by itself and got her excited to fly :)
when we’re in europe before we love stocking up at the flying tiger store, so many great knick knacks, cute and cheap. when we’re flying from the us, i stock up in advance, mostly from the dollar section at target store.
any other amazing activities for kids out there? i would LOVE to hear!
ps – 10 tips for flying with a baby and about moving with a toddler
(julia just turned 2 on the day of our last long flight and these were the activities we brought on the plane).
Good Mum !!!
I Love this post
Well done, Joana! We used to carry packs of cards – happy families, animals, etc, – and they had to identify them in English and Portuguese!! Amazing how they could remember!
oh thanks, she’s actually just realizing that she can say things in portuguese and english, too funny!